THE
PROGRESSIVE MIND
Wednesday, 2024/04/24, 5:25 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS

Main ForumRegistrationLogin
[ NEW POSTS · SEARCH · RSS ]     
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: LIBertea  
Forum » Main » General Discussion » What is the difference between Sunni and Shia Muslims? (refresher course)
What is the difference between Sunni and Shia Muslims?
inbluevtDate: Tuesday, 2013/08/13, 1:08 AM | Message # 1 |   DMCA |   
Private
Group: Blocked

CLASHES between Islam's two big sects, the Sunni and the Shia, take place across the Muslim world. In the Middle East a potent mix of religion and politics has sharpened the divide between Iran’s Shia government and the Gulf states, which have Sunni governments. Last year a report by the Pew Research Centre, a think tank, found 40% of Sunnis do not consider Shia to be proper Muslims. So  what exactly divides Sunni and Shia Islam and how deep does the rift go?

The argument dates back to the death in 632 of Islam’s founder, the Prophet Muhammad. Tribal Arabs who followed him were split over who should inherit what was both a political and a religious office. The majority, who would go on to become known as the Sunnis, and today make up 80% of Muslims, backed Abu Bakr, a friend of the Prophet and father of his wife Aisha. Others thought Muhammad’s kin
the rightful successors. They claimed the Prophet had anointed Ali, his cousin and son-in-law—they became known as the Shia, a contraction of "shiaat Ali", the partisans of Ali. Abu Bakr’s backers won out, though Ali did briefly rule as the fourth caliph, the title given to Muhammad’s successors. Islam's split was cemented when Ali’s son Hussein was killed in 680 in Karbala (modern Iraq) by the ruling Sunni caliph’s troops. Sunni rulers continued to monopolise political power, while the Shia lived in the shadow of the state, looking instead to their imams, the first twelve of whom were descended directly from Ali, for guidance. As time went on the religious beliefs of the two groups started to diverge.

More

Message edited by inbluevt - Tuesday, 2013/08/13, 1:11 AM

inbluevtDate: Tuesday, 2013/08/13, 7:31 PM | Message # 2 |   DMCA |   
Private

Ha! Ha!  Hell yes, JJ.   biggrin

PapaSmurfDate: Tuesday, 2013/08/13, 8:22 PM | Message # 3 |   DMCA |   
Lieutenant
Group: Moderators

Thx Blue.

Very edifying

I find stuff like this fascinating

normDate: Sunday, 2014/02/16, 1:14 AM | Message # 4 |   DMCA |   
Private

i just don't know what to think about these silly thinktanks

1) are you muslim

2) sunni or shia

3) are they muslim

When ye ask strangers questions like this, ye get exactly the answer ye want. Ye can even print yer latest opinion pole in the middle of local religious year and/or State fiscal year and mix the whole lot together with previous years and confuse the shyte outte me from here until breakfast time, which during ramadan would be evening i suppose. and did i pay church tax or have i stopped beating me wiffee out of the temple !

These Abreham notions of mono idea'rs would have me believe that people get stupid every 600yrs or so and have to start counting from the start again. No no no, we are the believe they are a sect. Woot whoever says it first gets the last word. !!

How would I know I was an Irish Catholic, lessen somebody told me there was proddi who not really irish.. bit bloody irish this, don't ye think !!!

On average people in Japan have 1.7 religions.. not sure if they know this.

Walking in the park, with 80yr old mother-in-law and a young lady left her child in peramulater and came to ask 'are you muslim' not sure what was meant. But my gran sister-in-law (well me danish daughters ex husbonds mothers mother) Turkish lived long and i suspect partly because of daily ablusions. she would rise before dawn go to public gathering and breakfast five times a day.

moral of the story... have yer eggs on sunny side and shyte down hill

pps Persian 'gulf states are sunni'... this is factually incorect

norman keena

Message edited by norm - Sunday, 2014/02/16, 3:20 AM

Forum » Main » General Discussion » What is the difference between Sunni and Shia Muslims? (refresher course)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:
Forum Statistics
Recent Posts Most Popular Threads Top Users Newest Users
  • Hope they pass that climate bill in Senate
  • Banality of Evil?
  • [MOVIE] Lost In The Sun (2015)
  • [MOVIE] Black Mass
  • [MOVIE] Mission Impossible - Rogue
  • [VIDEO] Real Time with Bill Maher 2015 06 19
  • (VIDEO) Bernie Sanders - The President We Need
  • (VIDEO) I'D LIKE TO BUY THE KOCHS A WORLD....
  • [VIDEO] Real Time with Bill Maher 2015 05 15
  • [VIDEO] Real Time with Bill Maher 2015 05 08
  • [VIDEO] Candidate Obama debates President Obama on Spying (7)
  • Bill Maher - Real Time 04.12.2013 (5)
  • 9/11: Blueprint for Truth-The Architecture of Destruction (4)
  • [VIDEO] Shocking testimony about Al Qaeda (4)
  • Glenn Beck Gives Government Until Monday to Come Clean About (4)
  • (VIDEO) Bill Moyers: The Lies That Lead to War (June 27, 2014) (3)
  • [VIDEO] Years Of Living Dangerously Part 4 (3)
  • [VIDEO] Years Of Living Dangerously Part 2 (3)
  • (Video) Obama On Accountability (3)
  • [DOCUMENTARY] BBC - Climate Change and Geoengineering (3)
  • LIBertea
  • inbluevt
  • Teesus
  • Scorpone
  • TrumanTown
  • junco
  • Maxpain
  • PapaSmurf
  • Keithfan
  • Block
  • c266h846
  • gheslinyang